Wow, just a few months into this blog game and I've "met" so many lovely bloggers! Looks like I got tagged twice at the same time by fab bloggers housemartin and rang decor! So here goes 8 things about me that you may find intriguing:
1. When I was a young girl I would play restaurant and serve breakfast for my parents on random Saturdays. I was the hostess, the cook, the decorator and the waiter. I even made my own menus!
2. I took a lot of dance classes in my younger years and even entered contests and performed at city sponsored events. For one particular contest I did a hip hop style jazz number to Salt n' Pepa's, "Push it" - pretty risque for a 12 yr old! But what's really funny is that my performance aired on the Public Access channel with added special effects like a psychedelic background and random slow motion. My school friends saw it and I was so embarrassed!
3. In my mid-20s, I decided to retreat from Christmas madness and engaged myself in a 10-day course in Vipassana meditation. It was an experience of noble silence, humility and self-awareness that forever changed my life.
4. I have traveled to Hong Kong over seven times while working on the men's design team at the clothing company Mecca USA (warning, this site has music right away).
5. After 911, things hit the fan in the fashion industry and I ventured into other things like financial services with World Financial Group and then real estate with 360Modern.com. During these times, i was actually certifed to sell insurance, securities and real estate, (not all at the same time, though). I learned a tremendous amount in the business world but realized that my true passion was in the business of design and creativity.
6. I was big into the Seattle Hip Hop scene and was down with the infamous DVS crew. Check me out at myspace for some flicks of old school flyers and photos from back in the day.
7. My maiden name is Tabora and I'm a 31 year old Filipino Canadian (born in Vancouver, BC). I got married in 2003 to my loving husband who is of Irish, German and Wintu descent, and married into the Dyckhoff (pronounced "dai-koff") family. Apparently, I now have the same last name as a department store in Germany (Thanks TweetyTwix!).
8. We have a loving Siamese cat named Kita ("keeta"), that we rescued from a very unruly pet shop.
*The image above was originally a black & white photo taken by my dad at his company picnic (I colorized it myself). As you can see, I was having a lot of fun running in my little jumpsuit & sandals. Sadly, however, I believe one of the other happy campers made it to the finish line before me. But at least I have my photo! Hee, hee!
Now I'm tagging these lovely bloggerettes!